In 2015 there have been a series of semi-private salons to raise funds for production for The Box, a new play about the practice of solitary confinement in U.S prisons by journalist and playwright Sarah Shourd. The World Premiere will take place on July 7th, 2016 at Z Space in San Francisco.
At the salons Sarah speaks about her year in solitary confinement while being held hostage by the Iranian government from 2009-2010 and her process in researching and writing the play; then a group of professional actors performs key scenes, followed by discussion, light refreshments and an opportunity to donate. If you would like to attend a salon please RSVP to sarah@sarahshourd. If you think you might be in the position to tap into your personal network and host a salon, let’s talk!
“Sarah kept thanking us for hosting a salon, but we felt grateful to her. It was a privilege to help in a small way to promote her important and powerful play—and it was gratifying for our friends to be in on the ground floor in helping make production possible. The stage reading and discussion were expertly done and deeply moving. Thank you, Sarah, for your courageous act of moral witness.”
–Peter and Pat Sussman, hosts
\\ Upcoming Salons //
- Jan 17, Sunday, 2-5pm, hosts Elizabeth Raymer and Ragna Boynton, Berkeley, Special Guest Senator Loni Hancock
- Jan 31, Sunday, 5-8pm, hosts Nicole Derse and Alex Orfaly, Oakland
- February 2nd, Monday, 7 to 9:30pm, Z Space in San Francisco, 450 Florida Street, Professional Reading
- March 13, Sunday 3-6pm, hosts Beth and David Trachtenberg, Berkeley
- March 20, Sunday, 2-4pm, host Russ McClure, Orinda
\\ Past Salons //
- November 1st, Sunday, 2-4pm, San Francisco, Hosted by Jeffrey Miller and Amy Trachtenberg, Special Guest Senator Leno
- October 18th, Sunday, 2-4pm, Berkeley, Hosted by Pat and Peter Sussman.
- September 26, Saturday, 4-6pm, Alameda, Hosted by Meredith and Jen Orthwen
- September 20th, Sunday, 3:30-6pm, San Mateo, Hosted by Andrea and John Rosenman with special guest Terry Kuppers M.D. (author of Prison Madness and expert on solitary confinement)
- August 20th, 6-8pm, Thursday, New York, Hosted by David Rothberg at the Fortune Society at Castle Gardens.
- July 12th, Sunday, 2-4pm, San Francisco, Hosted by artists Richard Kamler and Joya Cory at their home in San Francisco. Special Guest Tom Ammiano
- June 26th, Friday, 6-8pm, Berkeley, hosted by UC Berkeley Professor Jonathan Simon (author of Mass Incarceration on Trial) and Chris Spaulding (public defender) with special guests Matt Gonzalez (lawyer and politician) and Monika Bauerlein (Mother Jones Magazine)